Physical Education A level at Shoreham Academy
The course takes a multidisciplinary approach, encouraging the development of different methods enquiry with focal point being the performer and the performance. The course is based on the interaction between the theory and performance of physical education
Course aims for students to develop:
- An understanding of the factors that influence performance and the ability to apply these to a range of physical activities
- Knowledge and skills of selected physical activities
- The skills necessary to analyze, evaluate and improve performance
- An appreciation of social, moral and cultural issues which affect participation and performance in physical activity
- The capacity to thing critically about the relationship between different factors influence performance
- An ability to explain current provision for participation in physical activity in the context of social and global trends
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Acquiring Movement Skills
- Socio-Cultural Studies
- Practical Performance
5 GCSE passes A*-C including Science, Grade B or above in GCSE P.E., strong literacy and numeracy skills.
- 50% of the A2 grade comes from the AS course result.
- Theory A2 content is weighted to 35% of the final grade and is assessed with an end of course examination.
- Practical work makes up 15% and is assessed across two activities.
- One assessment will be based around demonstrating the ability as a player/ performer, coach or official.
- During the second assessment, students will be asked to evaluate, appreciate and improve performance.
This course provides an excellent foundation for students who wish to pursue careers in teaching, coaching, sports development, the leisure industry, recreational management, the health and fitness industry and professional sport.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Shoreham Academy directly.