Motor Vehicle Entry Level at Newbury College
This is an introductory qualification which strongly emphasises hands-on assessment. The qualification is aimed at those just entering the automotive industry. Learners will be trained in Basic Hand Tools and their use, Tyres, Brakes, Suspension System's, Engine lubrication and Cooling systems to Fuel and exhaust systems to Spark ignition systems. This course is an exciting opportunity to learn the basic principles of motor vehicle engineering. You will experience a wide range of practical exercises that will enable you to move forward onto a level 1 programme or find an apprenticeship of full time work.
You will learn practical skills involved in the motor vehicle industry that will enable you to processed into a possible apprenticeship or full time work. Typical units on your course:
- Introduction to vehicle engine lubrication systems
- Introduction to vehicle cooling systems
- Introduction to vehicle fuel and exhaust systems
- Introduction to vehicle spark systems
- Introduction to vehicle electrical systems
- Introduction to vehicle braking systems
- Introduction to vehicle transmission systems
- Introduction to vehicle steering and suspension systems
- Introduction to vehicle wheel and tyre systems
- Introduction to vehicle body and interior cleaning
- Introduction to vehicle engine operating systems
- Introduction to vehicle workshop bench skill
Your course will also cover tutorials, Independent learning and a skills project which relates to motor vehicle engineering. In addition there may be Functional Skills attached to your course only if you need them.
Learners will be required to attend an interview and provide references. Learners will have to complete Entry Level Functional Skills Maths and English as part of their course. All learners must have achieved, or show the ability to achieve, Maths and English to GCSE grade E or equivalent. Where a learner has not yet fulfilled this requirement a functional skills qualification is a mandatory part of this course. All learners will, however, have the opportunity to improve their English and Maths skills alongside their course where appropriate.
Practical assessment and oral questioning to form a portfolio.
Level 1 programme in Motor vehicle or apprenticeship programme.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Newbury College directly.