Religous Studies A Level at Skipton Girls' High School
Is this course for me?
This course will suit anyone with a keen interest in moral debate. Those of you who like to analyse and evaluate strengths and weaknesses of ideas will find the course suits you well.
AS Qualification Structure: Philosophy of Religion
- Traditional arguments for the existence of God
- The challenges posed to religious belief
- The problem of evil
- Religion and science
- The thinking of Plato and Aristotle
- The nature of God in Judaeo-Christian thought
- Natural Law
- Kantian ethics
- Religious Ethics
- Abortion and the right to a child
- Genetic Engineering
- War and peace
- Life and Death; the Soul
- The nature of God
- Religious experience
- Religious language
- Free will and Determinism
- The nature and role of conscience
- Aristotle and Virtue Ethics
These will be applied to:
- Business and the Environment
- Sexual ethics (homosexuality, pre-marital sex etc)
It is not necessary to have studied the subject at GCSE level. A Grade B or above at GCSE English Language indicates that you will cope with the essay-based nature of the course
Philosophy and Ethics is an ideal course choice for those wanting to go on to study Law, Psychology, Sociology or other disciplines like History or English.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Skipton Girls' High School directly.