Start Business, IT and Tourism at Burnley College
The range of practical and theoretical lessons include IT fundamentals, introduction to hospitality, professional behaviour, using mobile devices and the Internet, personal and social development and business administration skills.
You will study a variety of topics including customer service, marketing in the travel and tourism industry, UK and global travel operations, air travel and the cruise industry, in the College's fully equipped travel suite including a fully operational
simulated aircraft fuselage and bulkhead, check-in and security desks and simulated travel agency.
As a Travel and Tourism student you will have the opportunity to take part in a wide range of activities to enhance your studies including:
- The opportunity for a two week work placement in a Hospitality / Travel & Tourism organisation in your second year
- Visits to regional airports to gain an insight into air travel operations
- A UK residential visit to a key tourist destination with tours of major visitor attractions, hospitality providers and event, conference and exhibition venues
- Visits to various hotels such as the Hilton, Malmaison or the Lowry Hotel (Manchester)
- Visits to national parks and areas of outstanding natural beauty
- Tours of tourist attractions such as Alton Towers, Cadbury World, Blackpool Zoo and Sea Life Centre
- Talks from visiting speakers regarding employment in travel and tourism areas. e.g Camp Leaders, Holidaybreak and visits to local and regional employers in the Travel & Tourism industry.
No formal requirements; all applicants will be interviewed and assessed to ensure that this is the appropriate course.
Assessment is via coursework.
A BTEC Level 1 Diploma for IT Users or a Level 1 Diploma in a different subject following interview.
The College has a fully equipped travel suite including a fully operational simulated aircraft fuselage and bulkhead, check-in and security desks and simulated travel agency.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Burnley College directly.