AS/A2 Biology at St Thomas More Catholic Academy - Trinity Sixth Form
During the 2 years you will be taught a wide spectrum of biologically related topics including:
- The structure and function of cells and cell components - the building blocks of life.
- The heart, lungs and diseases linked to them - the structure and function of 2 very important organs, as well as what diseases can affect them.
- Classification - just how does science separate one organism from the other?
- Energy transfers in living organisms - how do plants get their energy from the sun? How do animals unlock the energy they consume?
- DNA technology - how science and technology are using DNA to open new avenues in research and treatment of diseases.
These are just a sample of the topics covered. There are many more included in the course.
- As Biology is a science A-Level expect to get hands-on with practicals to enrich your learning.
- In addition to the practical lessons there are plenty of opportunities to work independently as well as in groups, sharing your understanding with your class mates.
Grade B pass in Biology or Grade B in Additional Science at GCSE
The course is broken down into 6 units - 2 taught units and an ISA will be done through each of the AS and A2 years.
The 2 taught units are assessed through individual examinations. The examinations will be based on everything covered from the units.
The ISA is assessed partly from a practical showing evidence of secure practical skills and understanding. The remainder of the marks for the ISA come from an examination testing your understanding of practical situations.
You could take this course with other advanced level courses, which overlap with Biology such as Chemistry, Applied Science, Physics, Geography, Geology or more general subjects that may not relate to the sciences, to prepare for higher education. With further training, you could go into a job related to Biology or one of the other sciences such as a Doctor, Nurse, Scientist or Marine Biologist. The course will also help you to develop the basic skills, understanding and knowledge that many employers across lots of industries are looking for.
Advanced level Biology sustains and develops the students enjoyment of, and interest in, Biology. It allows students to recognise the value and responsibility of Biology in society and increases awareness of advances in technology and research. It is the backbone of many post 18 courses and careers such as Medicine, Dentistry, Physiotherapy, Forensic Science, Midwifery, Nursing, Psychology, Pharmacy and Zoology.
Transport will be provided free during the lunchtime, so you don't have to worry about getting from morning to afternoon classes. Free before and after transport is also available to and from your home school if required.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Thomas More Catholic Academy - Trinity Sixth Form directly.