Further Mathematics at The Bramcote College
What is Further Mathematics?
* Further Mathematics is an AS/A level qualification which both broadens and deepens the mathematics covered in AS/A level Mathematics.
* AS level Further Mathematics is designed to be learnt alongside AS level Mathematics in year 12, or taken up as a new AS subject alongside A2 Mathematics in year 13
Why study Further Mathematics?
There are many good reasons to take Further Mathematics:
* Students taking Further Mathematics overwhelmingly find it to be an enjoyable, rewarding, stimulating and empowering experience.
* For someone who enjoys mathematics, it provides a challenge and a chance to explore new and/or more sophisticated mathematical concepts.
* It enables students to distinguish themselves as able mathematicians in the university and employment market.
* It makes the transition to a mathematics-rich university course easier.
* Some prestigious university courses will only accept students with Further Mathematics qualifications.
Any student planning to take a mathematics-rich degree (this covers a very wide range of academic areas – Engineering, Sciences, Computing, Finance/Economics, etc., as well as Mathematics itself) will benefit enormously from taking Further Mathematics, at least to AS level. AS Further Mathematics introduces new topics such as matrices and complex numbers that are vital in many mathematics-rich degrees.
Students who have studied Further Mathematics find the transition to such degrees far more straightforward. Studying Further Mathematics also boosts students’ performance in AS/A-level Mathematics. Any student capable of passing an AS/A level in Mathematics should also be able to pass AS Further Mathematics.
Studying Further Mathematics also consolidates and reinforces students’ standard A level Mathematics work, helping them to achieve their best possible grades. Students planning to study for a mathematics-rich degree who did not begin AS Further Mathematics in year 12 can choose to study it alongside A level Mathematics in year 13.
5 x A*- C grades at GCSE.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Bramcote College directly.