Skills for Childcare (QCF) Extended Certificate Level 2 at St Helens College
This introductory course is designed to provide you with the required skills and knowledge, to help you launch a successful career in the childcare sector.
During this course, you will cover the following:
- Context, principles and values for children and young people
- Child protection and safeguarding children
- Food and nutrition for children and young people
- Value of play and recreational activity to children and young people
- Supporting positive behaviour in children and young people's settings
- Activities for children and young people
- Physical development of children and young people
- Preparing for work placement
- Learning from a work placement
- Skills for team workers
In addition to the above, your tutor will support you to find and secure a work placement within a childcare environment. You will attend College three days a week and your placement, two days a week.
You should have four GCSEs at grade D or above, in addition to a grade C in English or maths.
English and maths forms an important part of your future, ensuring you achieve the best success in your chosen career. But don't worry, if you haven't got the desired grades, we will still have a course available for you.
You will be assessed through a combination of assignments, case studies and presentations of work, along with log book entries from placement experience.
If you are a school leaver, aged 16‐18, (under the age of 19 on or before 31st August 2016), you do not pay tuition fees or examination and registration fees and may be eligible for additional support depending on your financial situation.
Upon successful completion of this course, you could further your skills and knowledge with a level 3 course or a level 3 apprenticeship.
Alternatively, you may decide to secure employment within the childcare sector as a nursery assistant, playworker or childminder.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Helens College directly.