Accessibility links

Design and Technology GCSE at Queensbury School

Course description

In KS3 all students have developed designing and making skills in a range of projects and materials. At KS4 students have the opportunity to choose a course which best suits their interests and skills. Why choose a Technology subject? Design Technology is about using skill, creativity and innovation to create high quality products and systems. This makes learning fun, and exciting, but the skills that are developed are important in all career and training paths, especially in the competitive employment market that we live in.

Course content

Transferrable skills and abilities include;

  • Research and analysis skills.
  • Communicating ideas and information.
  • Solving problems and working creatively.
  • Carrying out extended project work.
  • Understanding and working in materials.
  • Making useful products.

You will also make full use of ICT and computers, such as CAD / CAM.

How is Technology assessed? All our courses involve a lot of practical work, as well as drawing and written work. In Yr 10 students develop the skills and knowledge required. All GCSE Design Technology courses are assessed through a major product which forms 60% and a single 2 hour exam, forming the remaining 40% of the final grade. What are the options? This year we are offering 4 GCSE Design Technology subjects. GCSE: GRAPHIC PRODUCTS - Involves producing a mixture of 2D and 3D outcomes. You will use drawing, colour and modelling techniques, to make products, such as point of sale displays, product packaging, or cards with mechanisms. If you enjoy using your imagination, drawing and sketching, using colour and as well as making things, then Graphic Products may be the choice for you. GCSE: RESISTANT MATERIALS - Mainly involves developing 3D products in wood, metal and plastic. If you would enjoy solving problems and like using hand and machine tools to make things that you have designed then this is the course for you. This year students ha

Assessment

How is Technology assessed? All our courses involve a lot of practical work, as well as drawing and written work. In Yr 10 students develop the skills and knowledge required. All GCSE Design Technology courses are assessed through a major product which forms 60% and a single 2 hour exam, forming the remaining 40% of the final grade.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Queensbury School directly.

Last updated date: 21 October 2014
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 2 years

Venues