Accessibility links

Geography A Level at St John's Marlborough

Course description

With exciting text and data-based language sources, the new AQA linear Geography A-Level is an exciting new course which blends physical and human geography. It also encompasses numerous skills associated with geographical research and fieldwork.

Course content

Physical Geography

The physical units of study include:

  • Water and Carbon Cycles: A study of the physical processes which control the cycling of both water and carbon between land, oceans and the atmosphere
  • Coastal Systems and landscapes: An in depth study of the coastal zone with a focus on physical processes and human interaction
  • Hazards: A study of the threats posed by a number of hazards and a consideration of how these can be managed. Volcanic hazards, seismic events, storms, and wild fires are areas of study

Human Geography

  • Global systems and global governance: A study of the way in which global systems shape relationships between individuals, states and environments
  • Changing place: changing places: A study of the way in which an array of factors affect continuity and change in the nature of places and our understanding of place
  • Contemporary Urban Environments: This unit focusses on urban growth and change in a variety of locations and contexts. Sustainability in urban areas is an important and reoccurring theme

Through a study of A-Level Geography numerous skills will be developed and honed. These skills are highly transferable and are prized by both employers and higher education establishments. The skills covered are too numerous to list but include:

  • data collection 
  • presentation and analysis 
  • sampling 
  • GIS
  • use of statistics 
  • use of primary and secondary data 
  • analysis of qualitative and quantitative data

the list goes on!

Assessment

Assessment will be primarily by examinations which make up 80% of the A-level. All students will also produce a unique and independent fieldwork investigation of between 3000-4000 words which accounts for the remaining 20%.

Fieldwork

Fieldwork and fieldtrips are an essential part of the new Geography A-Level. All students need to spend at least 4 days undertaking fieldwork over the two years. It is likely that a residential fieldtrip to Slapton Ley will be a key component of the fieldwork requirement.

Future opportunities

Geography is well respected by employers and universities. The top universities respect A-level geographers as they come with knowledge of the world and a wide skills base. It is for this reason that the Russell group of universities consider geography a “Facilitating subject”.

Geographers are frequently employed in the following fields:

  • teaching
  • research
  • environmental management
  • planning
  • the energy sector
  • water resource management
  • conservation
  • demography
  • climatology
  • mapping

to name but a few!

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St John's Marlborough directly.

Last updated date: 11 November 2016

Key information

Venues