Children's Care, Learning And Development BTEC Level 2 First Diploma at Milton Keynes College
This course is suitable for those who wish to work in a supervised role in the Children and Young People’s workforce in England. It is the only Level 2 qualification conferring occupational competence, enabling you to work in the Children and Young People’s Workforce.
The mandatory units, which must be taken, are as follows:
- Introduction to communication in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings.
- Introduction to personal development in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings.
- Introduction to equality and inclusion in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings.
- Child and young person development.
- Safeguarding the welfare of children and young people.
- Maintain and support relationships with children and young people.
- Support children and young people's positive behaviour.
- Contribute to the support of child and young person development.
- Contribute to children and young people's health and safety.
- Contribute to the support of positive environments for children and young people.
- Understand partnership working in services for children and young people.
- Paediatric emergency first aid.
- Managing paediatric illness and injury.
The optional units which will be taught and will result in the full certificate are:
- Contribute to the support of child’s communication, language and literacy.
- Contribute to the support of children’s creative development.
You will also be required to undertake a minimum of 200 hours in a work placement in a child care setting and undertake work based assessments to demonstrate competence. Therefore, attendance both at College and at the work placements is essential. These are arranged by the placement officer.
Functional skills qualifications are designed to provide the necessary levels of English, Maths and ICT skills needed to ‘function’ in today’s society and workplace. They are a key component of all College Programmes. You will complete at least 1 Functional Skill at an appropriate level as part of your programme.
Entrance criteria will be discussed at interview.
You must be at least 16 years of age at registration.
Applications from mature students are welcome.
Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) clearance is a requirement for admission onto this course.
There will be continuous assessment through written assessments, presentations, assessment in the workplace and students will compile a portfolio of evidence. Functional Skills are assessed by on-line exams and students will be given guidance and support to achieve these.
- CACHE Level 3 Diploma IN Children and Young People’s Workforce.
- Level 3 work based course in childcare.
- Employment as an assistant preschool worker, assistant in children’s centre, day nursery, nursery school or nursery classes in primary schools.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Milton Keynes College directly.