Veterinary Nursing Level 3 Diploma at Reaseheath College
We’re delighted to offer this qualification awarded by Central Qualifications, which follows on from our Level 2 Diploma in Veterinary Care Assistants.
This Level 3 qualification is essential to become an RCVS registered veterinary nurse.
Veterinary nurses play a key role in veterinary practices by providing expert supportive care and treatment for sick animals and by assisting owners to maintain the health of their pets. Veterinary nurses most often work within small animal practices, but an increasing number work within mixed practices dealing with farm animals and horses.
With this qualification you could also work for animal welfare organisations, zoos or within the pharmaceutical or veterinary supplies industries.
You’ll be supported in developing vital clinical and employability skills in a real life setting, in preparation for the responsibilities and accountability of being a registered veterinary nurse.
To enrol on this course you can be employed by or be working voluntarily at a veterinary practice. Your time will be split between learning theory at college and gaining practical experience while you are on your placement in your practice.
During your course your clinical skills will be assessed through a central skills log and you will have to successfully complete theory exams, assignments and a practical examination.
You will gain:
- Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing
- Understanding the operational requirements of a vet practice
- Infection control
- Understanding the essentials of vet nursing care for hospitalised animals
- Comparative functional anatomy
- Applied animal welfare, health and husbandry for vet nurses
- Professional relationships and communication for vet nursing practice
- Essentials of practical nursing care for hospitalised animals
- Veterinary nursing support of diagnostic imaging
- Supporting veterinary operating theatre practice
- Principles of supportive veterinary anaesthesia
- Lab diagnostics
- Supply of vet medicines
- Vet support for small animals
- Principles of peri-operative nursing support for small animals
- Principles of emergency and critical care
- Professional registration
- Practical monitoring small animal anaesthesia
- Practical peri-operative support
- Practical nursing support
- At least 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including English, Maths and Science, or
- Level 2 Diploma for Veterinary Care Assistants with Functional Skills Level 2 in English and Maths
Course options after this programme
- Progress onto the Advanced Diploma in Veterinary Nursing
- RCVS Registered Veterinary Nurse. With experience you could lead teams of more junior nurses and nursing assistants and you could organise nursing clinics
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Reaseheath College directly.