Accessibility links

Drama and Theatre Studies A2 at Warlingham School

Course description

Drama and Theatre Studies This year encourages students to think about theatre from a more directorial point of view. The first unit this year requires the creation of a unique and original piece of theatre. You will be assessed on both the process of creating the piece and the finished product in the form of a performance to an audience. This unit allows you to research develop and structure performance materials, make decisions about style genre and techniques, demonstrate performance and/or design skills and experience performance to an audience. Unit 4 is an externally assessed written unit requiring the detailed study of one set play text and one prescribed historical period of theatrical development. This unit takes the form of a 2 hour 30 minute written exam. This unit is designed to develop your understanding of how play texts may be re-interpreted for a contemporary audience, appreciate the staging potential of play scripts and understanding the social and historical context of theatre. Assessment Format Unit 3: Exploration of Dramatic performance 40% of A2 20% total GCE (Teacher assessed-practical and written) Unit 4: Theatre Text in Context 60% of A2 30% total GCE (Externally assessed- written examination)

Entry requirements

GCSE grade B or above in Drama and C or above in English

Future opportunities

Careers in theatre as performers, designers, administrators, managers, educational theatre, drama therapy, social work, teaching, work in local regional or national arts provision, arts administration, film television and radio.You could take this course with other advanced level courses, which could be related to the performing arts, to prepare for higher education in the arts or more general higher education courses. With further training, you could go into a job related to the performing arts such as working in the Film, Television or Theatre industries. You may also like to look at joining a theatre group to increase your drama and theatre experience. The course offers a distinct subject content which provides you with the skills, understanding and knowledge that many employers from lots of industries are looking for. You could take this course with other advanced level courses, which could be related to the performing arts, to prepare for higher education in the arts or more general higher education courses. With further training, you could go into a job related to the performing arts such as working in the Film, Television or Theatre industries. You may also like to look at joining a theatre group to increase your drama and theatre experience. The course offers a distinct subject content which provides you with the skills, understanding and knowledge that many employers from lots of industries are looking for.

Further information

To find out more about this qualification, contact us, ask your Connexions Personal Adviser or school/college careers staff.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Warlingham School directly.

Last updated date: 26 May 2015
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 1 year

Venues