Rail Engineering Level 1 Certificate at Coleg y Cymoedd
This course is designed to give an introduction into Rail Engineering and Construction. The course consists of two main qualifications; a level 1 certificate in Rail Engineering and a level 1 certificate in Construction skills. You will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands.
Alongside this course you will also study the Welsh Baccalaureate: level 1, Essential Skills Wales at level 1 or higher in communications and Application of Number.
- Prepare to undertake duties in the rail industry
- Complying with statutory regulations and organisational safety requirements
- Dismantle and remove Permanent Way assets and components
- Install permanent way assets and components
- Prepare small plant, measuring equipment and tools for Permanent Way renewal or maintenance
- Reinstate the work site after Permanent Way engineering activities
- Introduction to health and safety in construction
- Setting out and laying gravel paths
- Laying paving slabs/Laying block paving Constructing one brick walling
- Mixing and using concrete
For the Welsh Baccalaureate you will explore a wide range of areas including how Wales fits in with Europe and the rest of the world, the health of the nation and how to be enterprising. The Welsh Baccalaureate also has a project element that can be based around your vocational area of study. The Essential Skills qualifications that you will acquire complement all parts of the programme
You will require 3 GCSEs at grades A*- E including Maths and English or an appropriate entry level qualification in a technical area such as Engineering or Construction.
You will undertake an assessment in literacy and numeracy to establish any support required.
The course is assessed by a range of methods, including practical projects, assignments, case studies and course work. You will also have to complete on-line and paper based examinations set by the awarding organisations.
FT Registration Fee - £20.00
Successful completion of the course provides an opportunity to progress onto level 2 Rail Engineering programmes and/or employment within the Rail sector.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Coleg y Cymoedd directly.