Art and Design A2 level at Wren Academy
This course offers students an intellectually stimulating, creative, practical and personal learning experience. The course aims to offer students opportunities to explore and investigate areas of personal interest and curiosity. This is done through visual research and experimentation, often enabling students to deepen their understanding of their other subjects by facilitating their ability to make links and widen their understanding. The course balances learning across skills, knowledge and understanding – valuing the contribution practical visual enquiry makes to research and learning habits.
Unit 1 - Coursework
- Internally set and assessed.
- In this unit, students will have opportunities to generate practical work, ideas and research from primary and contextual sources. They will experiment with media and processes, and develop and refine their ideas, presenting their outcomes.
Unit 2 - Externally Set Assignment
- This unit represents the culmination of the AS course. The paper consists of one broadbased thematic starting point. The unit is planned with guidance during the preparatory period, encouraging independence in the development of ideas, intentions and responses.
Unit 3 - Coursework
- This unit incorporates two linked elements, each with separate final outcomes: Practical work and Personal study.
- The investigation and development for both the Practical work and Personal study will be shown through supporting studies.
Unit 4 - Externally Set Assignment
- This unit represents the culmination of the A2 course. The paper consists of one broadbased thematic starting point. The unit is planned with guidance during the preparatory period, encouraging independence in the development of ideas, intentions and responses.
Minimum Grade B in GCSE Art and Design.
The AS and A2 course are internally assessed and externally moderated. The AS course is worth 50% of the final A2 grade. Coursework is worth 60% of the final A2 grade.
Art and Design provides an excellent grounding for students wishing to pursue further studies in Art and Design, such as a pre-degree Foundation Courses, degree courses, Higher National Certificate courses and Diplomas. Students applying for courses in all areas of visual culture will find the AS/A2 Art and Design course enriches their way of both seeing and understanding the world, equipping effectively for courses such as: Art and Design; Architecture; Film; Photography; Fashion; Media – to name a few.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wren Academy directly.