Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Level 3 Diploma at Hartlepool College of Further Education
The Level 3 Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles is aimed at students wishing to specialise in the automotive maintenance and repair sector in a motor vehicle role and/or progress into further training within this sector.
The qualification covers a range of topics that will enable learners to gain employment, such as:
- Motor Vehicle Diagnostic Techniques
- Working with Minimum Supervision
- Good Record of Safety and Fault Correction
- Ensuring Work Meets Required Standard
Some of the skills learners will have acquired upon achievement of this qualification are:
- Diagnose Complex Mechanical and Electrical Faults
- Repair and Replace Faulty Parts and Components
- Test and Overhaul Procedures for Engine, Chassis, Transmission and Electrical Systems
- Service all Systems of a Vehicle following Manufacturers' Guidelines, from Engine and Exhaust Systems to Air Conditioning and Security Features
Other non-technical but essential skills include developing others and advising customers about the required repairs as well as keeping maintaining and repair records.
4 GCSEs at Grade A*-C or an equivalent qualification in a related subject area and a Level 2 Diploma in Vehicle Technology.
A variety of assessment methods are used including assignments, exams (functional skills) and practical exercises.
The course will prepare students for direct entry into employment in the automotive industry or for progression into higher education.
Learners could also move into:
- Further training such as an advanced level apprenticeship in automotive maintenance and repair
- Level 4 qualification in Advanced Vehicle Diagnostics and Management that will prepare them to become a Master Technician
This qualification has been developed for students aged 16+ in collaboration with the Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) and is supported by industry organisations such as:
- The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), who support and promote the interests of the UK automotive industry at home and abroad
The Retail Motor Industry Federation (RMI), the leading automotive trade body in the UK, representing:
- Franchised car and commercial vehicle dealers
- Independent garages
- Body shops
- Motorcycle dealers
- Petrol retailers
- Auction houses
- Cherished number plate dealers
All of whom provide sales and services to motorists and businesses across the UK.
Students will have the opportunity to participate in numerous enrichment activities such as motor show visits and go-kart track days. This programme can be combined with GCSEs.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hartlepool College of Further Education directly.