Biology A Level *Fees Payable* at Rochester Independent College
AQA *New Specification 2015
Course content AS and A Level
1. Biological molecules – water, carbohydrates, proteins, lipids and nucleic acids (AS and A Level)
2. Cells – structure of eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells, cell membranes, cell recognition and immunity (AS and A Level)
3. Organisms exchange substances with their environment – gas exchange, digestion and absorption, mass transport in animals and plants (AS and A Level)
4. Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms – DNA, genes and chromosomes, protein synthesis, genetic diversity, adaptation, classification and biodiversity (AS and A Level)
5. Energy transfers in and between organisms – photosynthesis, respiration, energy and ecosystems, nutrient cycles (A level only)
6. Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments – survival and response, the nervous system, muscles, homeostasis and negative feedback (A level only)
7. Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems – inheritance, population genetics, evolution and speciation, studying ecosystems (A level only)
8. The control of gene expression – gene mutations, stem cells and cell differentiation, epigenetics, gene expression and cancer, using genome projects, gene technology (A level only)
AS: Two written exams on topics 1-4, including relevant practical skills
Length of exams and breakdown of units:
Paper 1 (1hr 30): 50% of AS, 75 marks
Paper 2 (1hr 30): 50% of AS, 75 marks
A-level: Three written papers
Paper 1 (2hrs): any content from topics 1-4, including relevant practical skills. 35% of A Level
Paper 2 (2hrs): any content from topics 5-8, including relevant practical skills. 35% of A Level.
Paper 3 (2hrs): any content from topics 1-8, including relevant practical skills. 30% of A Level
There is no practical exam in the new syllabus. Practical skills are assessed throughout the course, with 12 required practicals, and examined via questions on the written papers.
Overlap with other A Level courses
Ecology topics – Geography. Biochemistry topics – Chemistry. Statistical tests – Maths.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Rochester Independent College directly.