Drama and Theatre Studies A-Level at The North Durham Academy
An A level course in Drama places practical drama within a theoretical context. Students will study drama texts and the work of practitioners through practical exploration; they will prepare texts for performance either as an actor or designer.
Theatre visits are an essential element of the course and students will be asked to discuss and review what they have seen. They will use their knowledge and understanding of dramatic styles and conventions gained from such experiences to inform their own devised work.
Both the AS and A2 year of the course have 2 units of study. One unit each year takes the form of a written exam; the other unit involves a practical assessed performance.
Into the future:
You do not need to have a burning ambition to be an actor or to work in the theatre to take the subject. Most universities and employers are looking for people who can present themselves confidently and work as part of a team. You certainly will have plenty of opportunity to develop these skills. Whilst the course is ideal for those students wishing to study drama at university / college, it is also useful for students who wish to:
- study an Arts subject at university;
- make a career in the arts (administration, education officer);
- work with people (eg, teaching, personnel, social services);
- use creativity and imagination (design, advertising, writing); or
- use language to influence others (eg, media, marketing, law).
How to apply:
To apply for a place at NDA16+ students should complete the application form available on our website.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible. All applicants will be invited to discuss the course/courses applied for with a senior member of staff to ensure students are selecting the right course/courses. To help with the process we will also look at recent student reports and the attainment information provided by subject staff. Any offer of a place at North Durham Academy may well be dependant on students achieving specified GCSE grades.
General Entry Criteria
The general criteria for entry to Year 12 of North Durham Academy’s 16+ courses are as follows:
- Most A Level and BTEC Level 3 courses: 5 separate GCSE subject passes at grades A* to C, including Maths and English.
- Meet the additional subject-specific requirements which are needed for some courses.
- For Maths, Science and Psychology courses, students will be required to complete a ‘Maths for Sixth Form’ course.
- Level 1/2 VRQ Courses: 4 GCSE grades at D or above preferably including Maths or English.
- Attend the Induction course in July and complete the Summer Bridging study packs relevant to the courses you want to study prior to enrolment.
- Agree to the conditions of the Sixth form Learning Agreement.
Any personal issues regarding entry criteria and extenuating circumstances can be raised and discussed at interview.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The North Durham Academy directly.