Supporting Teaching And Learning In Schools Level 2 Certificate at Milton Keynes College
Is your goal to become a teaching assistant? Are you currently volunteering in school and hoping to secure employment?
This course will help you gain an understanding of the requirements of the teaching assistant role and support the development of your vocational practice. It will enhance your career prospects and can lead to further training opportunities.
The course covers all areas of the teaching assistant role e.g. communication, behaviour management, supporting learning activities and safeguarding. This course is approximately 50% theory and 50% practical. You will study the following 9 mandatory units:
- Child and young person development
- Safeguarding children
- Communication and professional relationships
- Equality, diversity and inclusion
- Help improve own and team practice
- Maintain and support relationships
- Health and safety
- Support children and young people’s positive behaviour
- Support learning activities
Your allocated Workplace Trainer will also guide you in selecting optional units relevant to your job/placement.
We will also support your development in English and Maths which are a key component of all College Programmes.
- You will need to have a minimum of three month’s experience of supporting learning activities within a school environment. This can be on an employed or voluntary basis. You must be working or volunteering in this environment for a minimum of nine hours a week throughout the course.
- You will be required to complete an initial assessment in English and Maths and achieve an appropriate level.
There is continuous assessment through knowledge work books online plus observations of your practice in the workplace.
After successfully completing the course you could progress onto the level 3 Diploma in Specialist Support for Teaching and Learning in Schools.
Alternatively you could seek an apprenticeship in the sector or enter employment as a Teaching Assistant in primary, secondary or further education settings.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Milton Keynes College directly.