Computer Science A Level at Worcester Sixth Form College
Computer Science is a practical and yet intensely creative subject where learners can apply the academic principles learned in class to real world systems. Students will develop the skills to solve problems, design systems and understand the power and
limits of human and machine intelligence. This course provides an excellent grounding for students wanting to study Computer Science or other technical subjects at university. It combines well with Maths or any of the three sciences.
• A mix of practical and theory lessons.
• Practical lessons include programming basics, creating software solutions and coursework
. • Theory lessons include topics such as systems analysis, programming languages, computer hardware, networks and data transmission.
- Maths GCSE grade B at Higher Level
- English GCSE grade C or above
- Average GCSE score of 6, GCSE Maths at grade B or above at Higher Level. AS Maths studied as well.
Experience of most common computer applications.
There will be two equally weighted unis assessed by two written papers of 1 hour and 15 minutes each: Computing Principles and Algorithms and problem solving.
Most of our students will go on to study either Computer Science or a related subject at University.
Resources and Facilities
• Two teaching rooms equipped with modern hardware and software
• Drop-in study areas equipped with computers are also available to Computer Science students
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Worcester Sixth Form College directly.
Last updated date: 18 October 2016