Product Design AS/A Level at Hall Cross Academy
Think about the objects that you love.
- Your mobile phone with its delicious curves was designed on a computer screen.
- The car you yearn for started life as a reduced size clay model.
- A building that you admire sprang from the drawing board of an architect.
This fascination with 3D Design goes back to flint arrow heads and earthenware pots.
As a designer you are at the crossroads of a number of skills.
Of course you need creativity, in order to imagine the shape and function of the object. But you’ll also need to know about manufacturing processes, materials and marketing.
3D Design is an enormously satisfying career. You have an idea and – with the use of tools like clay or computers – it comes to life. Imagine how satisfying it must be for the person who designed the iPhone to hold the finished product in their hand.
AS Prod 2: Learning through designing and making. Produce a portfolio of work using your own designs with a range of materials and media. Practical work on two design briefs.
A2 Prod 4: Design and making in practice. The practical, coursework part. You’ll make an object and record the process that you went through. Practical work on your chosen design brief.
B grade in Product Design.
The course is 50% controlled assessment and 50% examination (2 hour exam).
AS level makes up 50% of the A2 result.
3D Design could take you into a number of exciting career paths.
Of course there’s product or automotive design, but what about computer generated cartoons?
Or maybe CAD for industry appeals to you more?
This course could take you into architecture, teaching, manufacturing, advertising or engineering.
The D & T Product Design 3D will help you develop a number of skills:
- How to assemble data and assess it.
- How to investigate facts and use deduction.
- How to put over your point of view fluently.
- How to work as a team to achieve results.
- How to take responsibility for your own learning.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hall Cross Academy directly.