Cookery Level 1 at Gateshead College
If you have enthusiasm and a passion for food, this is the perfect course to get your career started in the creative and fast-paced catering and hospitality industry.
This year long, nationally recognised qualification will provide you with the basic skills and knowledge you need including:
- Food preparation and cooking techniques
- Health and safety
- Essential industry legislation
- Planning menus.
You'll also get the chance to develop your hospitality skills by completing a Level 1 in Food Service, a great way to become more employable in restaurants.
Working with our experienced team of teachers, you'll train in our professional standard kitchens, creating dishes for paying customers in our student-run restaurant, Enfields and our Greenhouse Brasserie.
Here are some examples of what you will be doing:
- Bread making: Learning how a few simple ingredients come together to produce something that we sometimes take for granted
- Basic vegetable preparation and cooking: Discover new ingredients and what to do with them to get the best flavour and how to correctly handle professional kitchen knives
- Cooking of meat and poultry dishes: Understand the techniques and cooking processes that are used around the world, hopefully inspiring you to try something you thought you never would. Even if you don’t want to be the next Jamie Oliver you will never go hungry after learning to cook with us!
You'll also develop the skills employers look for including good communication and how to be an effective team member.
English & maths
If you need to improve your GCSE grades, we can support you to develop these essentials skill
- No previous qualifications are required for this programme, however acceptance can only be given as a result of a successful pre course interview.
- We welcome all applicants without any prior experience or knowledge in this area. You will need motivation to achieve and have a passion to gain skills enabling you to progress this as a career in the future.
Throughout the course you will build a portfolio of evidence and be assessed through observations of practical tasks.
During the course, you will need to wear a Gateshead College catering uniform that you will need to buy, along with a course book and knife kit. You can apply for funding support to cover some of these costs, we can discuss this with you at your interview or induction.
On completion, you can progress onto our Level 2 in Professional Cookery.
Fast-track to an apprenticeship
You can start on this programme and fast track to an apprenticeship once a vacancy becomes available and you're ready. Sign up to our apprenticeship alerts and we'll keep you updated on the latest apprenticeship vacancies. Plus our team will help you write your CV or application and prepare for interviews.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Gateshead College directly.