Business BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma at Richard Taunton Sixth Form College
This course is designed for students who are interested in learning about the business sector alongside other fields of study, with a view to progressing to a wide range of higher education courses which are not necessarily business-related. It is designed to be taken as part of a programme of study that includes other appropriate A Level or BTEC qualifications.
You will study three mandatory units:
- Exploring Business (internally assessed coursework)
- Developing a Marketing Campaign (externally assessed coursework)
- Personal and Business Finance (externally assessed by a written examination)
Plus two of the following optional units:
- Recruitment and Selection Process
- Investigating Customer Service
- Market Research
- The English Legal System
- Work Experience in Business
The styles of external assessment used for this qualification are:
- Examinations – all learners take the same assessment at the same time, normally with a written outcome.
- Set tasks – learners take the assessment during a defined window and demonstrate understanding through completion of a vocational task. Some external assessments include a period of preparation using set information. External assessments are available once or twice a year and learners can have only one re-sit attempt during the programme.
- At least five GCSEs at grade C or above, to include English Language and Maths (or equivalent) OR
A Level 2 vocational qualification in a related subject at Pass Level, plus at least two GCSEs at grade C (including Maths and English Language or a Level 2 equivalent)
- Initiative, independence, perseverance and an ability to be well-organised and meet deadlines
- A high degree of self-motivation and a willingness to work co-operatively in groups is essential
Previous students on this course have been accepted onto Business Management, Human Resources, Marketing, Finance, Economics and International Relations degree courses at university. Students have also gained apprenticeships with Test Valley Borough Council, IBM, BDO Accountants, Thomson Travel and HSBC Bank.
This qualification has also been approved by The Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development, The Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply and The Chartered Management Institute for learners wanting to progress onto their approved courses at the appropriate level. In addition, universities, professional bodies and businesses have provided letters of support confirming that the qualification meets their entry requirements.
Excellent attendance and independent learning outside of the classroom are crucial to ensure you gain high grades for entry into university or apprenticeships.
This course will provide you with the opportunity to develop your employability skills by undertaking real or simulated activities. The skills you will develop include:
- Cognitive and problem-solving skills - critical thinking, approaching non-routine problems, applying expert and creative solutions and using systems and technology
- Intrapersonal skills - communication, working collaboratively, negotiating and influencing and self-presentation
- Interpersonal skills - self-management, adaptability and resilience, self-monitoring and development
For students wishing to progress to university, the course will also help to develop valuable transferable skills including independent learning, presentation skills and active research skills.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Richard Taunton Sixth Form College directly.