English Language A-Level at The West Bridgford School
Students on this course are given the opportunity to:
- Develop and apply understanding of language concepts and issues.
- Conduct independent investigation work related to language in use.
- Engage with a study of English from the past to the present day.
- Develop skills as producers and interpreters of language.
- Develop methods of exploring and understanding spoken and written language in use.
- Understand the roles of purposes, audiences and contexts and the impact of these pressures upon language use.
- Use linguistic methods to analyse and investigate a variety of extracts taken from everyday sources.
Unit 1 Categorising Texts
Introductory aspects of the study of a variety of texts. 3 contexts: Language & Power, Language & Gender, Language & Technology (60% of AS)
Unit 2 Creating Texts
Coursework Folder containing two pieces of writing (1500-2500 words) and 2 accompanying commentaries (1000 words) (40% of AS)
Unit 3 Developing Language
Focus on Language Change and Child Language Acquisition (60% of A2)
Unit 4 Investigating Language
Coursework Portfolio - Investigation (1750-2500 words)
Grade B in GCSE English Language, within one of the below:
3 A Level subjects + General Studies: 3 Grade B in chosen subjects + 2 Grade C, including Grade B in Maths & English Language
4 A Level subjects + General Studies: 2 Grade A/A* + 2 Grade B in chosen subjects + 1 Grade C, including Grade B in Maths & English Language
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The West Bridgford School directly.