Music AS Level at John Leggott Sixth Form College
Component 1 - Performing:
- A public performance of one or more pieces, performed as a recital.
- Performance can be playing or singing solo, in an ensemble, improvising, or realising music using music technology.
- The total performance time across all pieces must be a minimum of 6 minutes.
- Performances must be recorded after 1 March in the year of certification and all materials for assessment submitted to arrive by 15 May of that year.
Component 2 - Composing:
- Total of two compositions, one to a brief set by Pearson and one either free composition or also to a brief.
- Each composition must be at least 2 minutes in duration.
- Total time across both submissions must be a minimum of 4 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Each composition carries 50% of the marks available for this component.
Component 3 - Appraising:
- Knowledge and understanding of musical elements, contexts and language.
- Application of knowledge through the context of six areas of study, each with two set works. (vocal music; instrumental music; music for film; popular music and jazz; fusions; new directions)
- Application of knowledge to unfamiliar works.
GCSE Maths and English at grade C or above is preferred and GCSE Music at grade C or above (or Grade 5 Music Theory). You should also be able to
play a musical instrument, which could be voice.
GCSE Average 6.0 or above.
- Component 1: Externally assessed, 30% of AS Level
- Component 2: Externally assessed, 30% of AS Level
- Component 3: Written examination, 40% of AS Level
You may choose to study music at a higher level or aspire to a music career or you may choose a different career entirely.
Together with the North Lincolnshire Music Service, the College offers peripatetic music lessons for a wide range of instruments. There is also the opportunity for you to join the college orchestra, wind band, mixed choir, soul band and other ensemble activities and the College also has connections with the National Youth Orchestra. There is a regular Thursday lunch-time concert series, a termly public concert and a Christmas concert you can take part in.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact John Leggott Sixth Form College directly.