Russian at The Sixth Form College Solihull
This is a course for either complete beginners or for those who already have GCSE Russian. As well as coursebook texts, you will work on video and audio materials in our multi media language labs, and a number of Internet and other interactive sources. All language work is firmly linked to contemporary issues and life in Russia and other Russian speaking countries. There are plenty of chances to develop your authentic Russian. You will have small group conversation sessions each week with our Russian assistant. By the end of year 12 you will be able to study short off-air news items in Russian, and make brief summaries. You will also watch and analyse one or two Russian feature films.
There are 3 components:
Paper 1: Listening, Reading and Translation: Comprehension recordings and texts based on authentic material, translation into English
Paper 2: Writing and Translation: 2 essays in Russian on a book and a film, translation into Russian.
Paper 3: Speaking: 21-23 minute discussion with examiner including 5 minute preparation time.
3 A level Programme:
The majority of our students will choose to study 3 A level courses and will commit to these subjects for the full 2 years. Entry requirements for this programme are:
• At least two grade 6s or B grades at GCSE
• At least a further three grade 4s or C grades at GCSE
• You should have at least a grade 4 or C grade in GCSE English Language AND Mathematics.
Please note that there may be additional entry requirements specific to particular courses – please check each course listing on our website carefully to ensure you understand these entry requirements.
4 A level Programme:
Some very able students may choose to study 4 A level subjects. This will include all students who choose to study A level Further Mathematics, who will pick Mathematics, Further Mathematics and two other subjects. These students must commit to these 4 subjects for the full 2 years. Entry requirements for this programme are:
• At least five grade 7s or A/A* grades at GCSE
• You should have at least a grade 6 or B grade in GCSE English Language AND Mathematics.
• Students picking Mathematics and Further Mathematics will need to get at least a grade 7 in GCSE Mathematics.
• Beginners: There is no requirement for Modern Foreign Language experience at GCSE.
• Post-GCSE applicants: Grade 4 (C) in Russian is required, although most students have at least a grade 6 (B).
• These requirements are in addition to our standard A level entry requirements.
Examining Board – EDEXCEL.
All students will take the A level at the end of Year 13.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Sixth Form College Solihull directly.