Extended Project (EPQ) at Somervale School
The Extended Project is a one year course which carries equivalent points for university entry as an AS level and is awarded Grades A*-E. Some universities will accept it as part of an offer, but the top universities will not but have said that they would look favourably on students who opt to do it and others have said they would be willing to make lower offers because of it, eg Bristol.
What can they look at?
- Students can choose to look at an area which is an extension to their current area of study or alternatively they can explore an area of personal interest or an activity outside the main programme of study.
- Students can opt to take an Extended Project in either a social science area, such as Psychology or Sociology or a Humanities area.
- Students have taken the opportunity to examine a wide variety of subjects from Radiography, cubist artwork to devising a training plan for a hockey team.
5 A*-C grades at GCSE or equivalent.
- Students record what they do in a production log.
- They produce an extended piece of work and make a presentation about it.
- They are assessed on the log, the project and the presentation.
What will students need to show that they can do to achieve a good grade?
- To choose an area of interest
- Draft a project title Draft aims of the project
- Plan, research and carry out the project
- Provide evidence of all stages of project production
- Deliver a presentation to a specified audience
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Somervale School directly.