Biology AS-Level at St Clement Danes School
- To develop essential knowledge and understanding of the concepts of Biology
- To develop and demonstrate a deep appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of scientific methods
- To develop competence and confidence in a variety of practical, mathematical and problem solving skills
- To develop interest and enthusiasm in Biology, including developing an interest in further study and careers associated with the subject
- To understand how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society
The Biology course is split into six modules. Modules 1-4 constitute the stand alone AS Level; Modules 1-6, combined with the practical endorsement constitute the full A Level.
The AS course is split into 4 modules that build on the key content at GCSE. The topics covered are Biological molecules; cells; organisms exchange substances with their environment and genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms.
Content is split into four teaching modules:
- Module 1 - Development of practical skills in biology
- Module 2 - Foundations in biology
- Module 3 - Exchange and transport
- Module 4 - Biodiversity, evolution and disease
Attain at least a C grade in English Language/English Literature GCSE or Mathematics GCSE. Additional Science: B or Biology: B.
Unit 1 Breadth in Biology: 50% of total AS Level
Unit 2 Depth in Biology: 50% of total AS Level.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Clement Danes School directly.