Children's Care, Play, Learning & Development Level 3 Diploma at Somerset College
In year 1 you will study the Extended Certificate and in year 2 you will study the Diploma. Upon successful completion of year 1, you will continue to year 2.
This course is equivalent to three A levels and you will gain Early Years Education Status over two years. It is suitable if you want to work with children from newborn to eight years. You will develop the skills required for a wide range of careers within the Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development sector. The Diploma will give you Early Years Practitioner Status (a widely recognised childcare qualification).
As part of the course you will study a range of subject units including:
- Child Development
- Play and Learning
- Health & Safety
- Development Care and Health Needs
- Working with Parents and Others
- Speech Communications and Language
- Personal and Social Development
- Observation, Assessment and Planning
- Literary and Numeracy Development
- Early Years Foundation Stage
- Reflective Practice
- Forest School
- English and Maths
- Additional Needs
Work placements are an essential part of the course, offering students an insight into different areas of early years/childcare settings.
- Five GCSEs at grade A* to C, including English Language (Written) and Maths, or a Level 2 Diploma in a related subject at distinction level.
- You must be between 16-19 years old.
- A DBS check is required.
- Successful selection interview is necessary.
- You will need to provide evidence that you have experience working with children, for example baby sitting or voluntary work.
You will be assessed through assignment work which could include individual and group projects, presentations, practical and written work and some external texts. Observation is an important part of the assessment used for this course both in College and work placement settings.
Depending on the pathway you study you can progress onto either the Foundation Degree in Early Childhood Studies or the Foundation Degree in Health and Social Care.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Somerset College directly.