History A/S at Grange Technology College
History at A-Level is a demanding but extremely enjoyable subject. History is about asking questions - if you like discussing issues and giving your opinions then History is for you!
A-Level History at Grange focuses on some of the key events and individuals of the 20th century and gives you an insight into how the world we live in has been shaped by the past.
For further information contact Mr Mark Sprakes, Subject Leader.mmmmmmmmmmmm
Unit 1: A World Divided: Communism and Democracy in the 20th Century.
- Pursuing Life and Liberty: Equality in the USA, 1945-68 - students will study the nature and extent of segregation and discrimination against African-Americans and other groups in the USA. Students will gain an insight to how much had changed by 1968 and study key individuals such as Martin Luther King and Malcolm X.
- Ideology, Conflict and Retreat: The USA in Asia, 1950-1973 - students will study the reasons for US foreign policy in Asia in this period with reference to the Korean War and the conflict in Vietnam. Students will understand how different presidents reacted to crisis in the period and analyse the extent of change over the period.
Unit 2: Britain and the Nationalist Challenge in India, 1940-1947
- Students will, through extensive source analysis and evaluation, learn about the importance of theBritish Empire to India: politically, commercially and culturally. The growth and impact of thenationalist movement in India towards independence will be studied in detail, with particular reference to significant individuals such as Gandhi.
At least 5 GCSEs at grades A*-C.
Although it is not essential, History combines well with other AS courses such as English, Government and Politics, Sociology and Modern Foreign Languages. This course would suit those individuals who have an interest in current affairs or politics, and like to question how society has developed the way it has.
2 Exams each worth 50% of your final AS grade
- Breadth Study
- Length 1 hour 20 mins -50% based on Unit 1 Knowledge
- Depth Study
- Length 1 hour 20 mins - 50% Investigation of Historical materials which will test your analytical skills.
The marks from your AS level examinations will be carried forward and form 50% of your A2 grade of which 25% will be from Unit 1 and 25% from Unit 2.
History A-Level is a respected academic subject and can lead to a wide range of University courses and careers such as teaching, law and journalism.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grange Technology College directly.