Barbering Intermediate Apprenticeship at Derby College
This course, leading to a City & Guilds qualification, helps meet the growing demand for highly skilled barbers. It gives students a broad understanding of the industry, together with essential skills and knowledge. As well as delivering technical training, the course fosters transferable skills such as communication and customer care. To support their main programme of study, future progression and life skills, students will also develop their skills in maths and English.
- Advise and consult with clients
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- Make sure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
- Cut facial hair to shape using basic techniques
- Cut hair using basic barbering techniques
- Dry and finish men’s hair
- Develop and maintain your effectiveness at work
- Give clients a positive impression of yourself and your organisation.
It is essential that you have excellent written and communication skills, with a profile of GCSEs at grade D or above, including English Language at grade C.
You will be assessed by a range of methods, including practical observation, oral questioning, written tests, assignments and preparing a portfolio of evidence. Assessments are on-going throughout the year. All practical assessments are carried out in the workplace on paying clients. Maths and English will be assessed through a controlled assessment or final exam.
Our teaching staff will be happy to advise you on opportunities for progression to Level 3 qualifications. If you progress to further studies, you will continue to develop your skills in maths and English.
This course also paves the way for rewarding careers in a commercial salon or working as a freelance barber.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Derby College directly.