Applied Science at St Mary's Catholic High School
A New Course For A New Generation Of Scientists
ABOUT THE COURSE
Key features of the BTEC National in Applied Science
The BTEC Nationals in Applied Science have been developed in the science sector to focus on:
• flexibility of pathway to suit learners’ needs,
• giving learners the opportunity to acquire technical and employability skills,
• developing the knowledge, understanding and skills of learners to meet the needs of the science sector,
• providing opportunities for learners to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and
attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
HOW THE COURSE IS ASSESSED AND TAUGHT
Core units are:
Fundamentals of science
Working in the Science Industry
Scientific Practical Techniques
Optional units are:
Physiology of Human Body Systems
Genetics and Genetic Engineering
Chemical Laboratory Techniques
WHAT IT PREPARES YOU FOR
A good qualification in BTEC science will prepare you for the majority of science based jobs (e.g. Health sector
jobs and laboratory work). It will also provide a route to many science degrees at university.
Minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C or above. Must include Maths or English at Grade C or above.
Assessment is via coursework.
St. Mary’s Sixth Form has a bursary scheme that supports students, who meet eligibility criteria, with the cost of attending college.
The bursary scheme is made up of 2 parts - a payment of £1,200 to a small group of the most vulnerable and a discretionary fund for schools to distribute. The most vulnerable are classified as:
• young people in care;
• care leavers;
• young people in receipt of Income Support;
• disabled young people in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) who are also in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
The discretionary element can be accessed via an application form and students should contact the Sixth Form office for further details. The College will consider every request for financial assistance and will endeavour to target the fund to help those students in greatest need
A good qualification in BTEC science will prepare you for the majority of science based jobs (e.g. Health sector jobs and laboratory work). It will also provide a route to many science degrees at university.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.