Mathematics AS & A Level at Farnborough College of Technology
The 2004 syllabus for all A level Maths courses nationally means that there is an emphasis on Pure Maths. Students will need at least a grade B in the higher tier GCSE and additionally must have good algebraic skills in order to have some chance of coping
with the course.
The course is designed to train the mind to think logically, to follow a line of reasoning using appropriate techniques to a conclusion and explore the subject further. An assessment of a student’s ability will be made in the first few weeks and a good result in this will be needed in order to continue with the course.
AS Subject Content
- C1 Pure: Includes algebra, coordinate geometry, polynomials and curve-sketching.
- C2 Pure: Logarithms, sequences and series, trigonometry and calculus.
- S1 Statistics: Data presentation including measures of central tendency and dispersion, probability, discrete random variables, binomial distribution and its use in hypothesis testing.
A2 Subject Content
- C3 Pure: Functions, natural logarithms, proof, further calculus, numerical methods (coursework).
- C4 Pure: Algebra including binomial expansion and partial fractions, further trigonometry, parametric equations, further calculus involving volume of revolution and differential equations, vectors in 3D, comprehension task.
- M1 Mechanics: Vectors, kinematics, dynamics in a straight line, friction, statics of a particle and projectiles.
5 GCSE grade A*-C, including English Language; B grade Maths. References will be required.
- C1: Examination 1 hr 30 minutes.
- C2: Examination 1 hr 30 minutes.
- S1: Examination 1 hr 30 minutes.
- C3: Examination 1 hr 30 minutes + coursework.
- C4: Examination 1 hr 30 minutes + 1 hr comprehension paper.
- M1: Examination 1 hr 30 minutes.
MEI text books.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Farnborough College of Technology directly.