Economics AS Level at Grantham College
This is the Economics A level course run in conjunction with the OCR.
- The first module provides an introduction to the study of Economics and why economic choices have to be made by individuals and firms. It provides an understanding of how markets operate and the influence of markets on behaviour. Failure of certain markets is also covered.
- The second module deals with the whole economy and includes the study of government policy and management of the economy in terms of growth, unemployment, inflation and international trade. The second year modules apply economic analysis to specific areas, developing AS work.
- The Transport module focuses on the application of economic principles to transport industries in the United Kingdom. Issues examined include the organisation, financing and pricing of transport.
- The final module draws upon all the skills that have been developed throughout the course and applies them to an analysis of the United Kingdom\'s performance within the world economy.
- Markets in Action (25%)
- National and International Economy (25%)
- Transport Economics (25%)
- The Global Economy (25%)
Five GCSE passes at Grades A - C including English at Grade C or above. No previous knowledge of the subject required.
Examination Board: OCR.
- Examination 1 1/2 hour (January)
- Examination 1 1/2 hour (June)
- Examination 2 hours (January)
- Pre - issue case study followed by an examination based on the material in the case study (2 hours June)
Full Time Further Education courses are free for those who are under 19 on 31 August of the year they start their course. Exam resit fees may apply if and when applicable.
Many students who study Economics choose to continue with the subject at University. It is also of value for students who wish to study Accountancy or Business at a higher level.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grantham College directly.