Physical Education A Level at Dereham Neatherd High School
The Physical Education course develops students’ interest in sport from primarily a theoretical viewpoint. We follow the AQA specification and the content of the course addresses current contemporary topics in sport such as the impact in the use of ergogenic aids, technology and increasing commercialisation of sport, as well as applied anatomy and physiology, skill acquisition, and sports psychology. There is also a practical element to the course.
- Opportunities for and the effects of leading a healthy and active lifestyle
- The physiology of adopting a healthy lifestyle, short and long term effects of exercise, analysis of movement
- Acquisition of skill and the psychology of sport
- Opportunities for physical activity, the benefits to the individual and society, and barriers to minority groups
- Analysis and evaluation of physical education
- Performance of core skills and a conditioned practice
- Optimising performance and evaluating contemporary issues within sport
- Energy sources and systems, elite preparation and training, specialised training, sports injuries, psychological theories for optimising performance, world games and their impact, sports technology and its impact, historical development of sport
- Optimising practical performance, evaluating and identifying weaknesses and suggest corrective measures
- Practical performance in a fully competitive situation
Minimum BBCCC including B in GCSE PE (B must be achieved in Theory part of paper). Students should be a B profile, preferably with a B in English Lang and Biology, and A*-B in GCSE PE (or minimum Merit if BTEC studied). Where the grade is obtained, a minimum grade B in the theory paper is compulsory. Students should be competent in two sports, and regularly playing in at least one of these outside of an academic environment.
You will sit one exam containing structured questions and application of theory to practical situations. You will also have a practical assessment of core skills.
Written examination containing structured questions, with application of the theory to practical situations. Practical assessment consists of an internal assessment and external moderation. You will be assessed in activities of rigorous and skilful nature.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Dereham Neatherd High School directly.