Further Mathematics AS/A2 Level at Woodlands School
- To develop their understanding of mathematics and mathematical processes in a way that promotes confidence and fosters enjoyment.
- To develop an appreciation of the nature of mathematics and mathematical processes.
- To develop the skills of modelling, generalisation and interpretation of results relevant to both applications and developments of mathematics.
- To develop an ability to construct logical arguments and understand the nature of rigour.
- To extend knowledge beyond the AS/A2 Level Mathematics and assist the transition to university level.
Further Mathematics A Level is a modular course with no coursework element. You will learn through a variety of approaches including supported self study. Individuals must be highly motivated and willing to read around the subject. The course broadens knowledge into other branches of mathematics and deepens understanding of pure mathematics.
3 units in each year ( Decision 1 & 2, Further Pure 1 in AS year) ( Further Pure 2 - 4 in A2 year)
FURTHER MATHEMATICS CANNOT BE STUDIED WITHOUT MATHEMATICS.
Exams in each unit.
Importantly you have a particular strength, enthusiasm and curiosity for mathematics. The course develops and strengthens the skills and processes you are fostering in Mathematics. Some universities are including Further Mathematics as an entry requirement for Mathematics and Mathematics related courses.
The combination of Mathematics and Further Mathematics is a fine preparation for many future courses; to be a specialist in such a logical discipline as Mathematics is a particular distinction.
Woodlands also offers timetabled lessons for Oxbridge preparation and the AEA paper – an entry requirement for some of the top universities for Mathematics degrees.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Woodlands School directly.