Applied Business AS A2 at Kingsthorpe College
The Applied Business course enables you to:
- Investigate the activities of different business organisations and how they operate in the real world through project and portfolio work e.g. develop a strategy to identify how a business meets the needs of its customers.
- Acquire knowledge and understanding of various business themes and topics e.g. marketing, finance, people in business.
- Develop creative and analytical thinking through your research investigations.
The following list gives some examples of the different types of projects you will do whilst studying your Applied Business course:
Investigating Business - Portfolio: You will carry out research into the aims and objectives of a business of your choice, and investigate the way entrepreneurship, team working and marketing help the company achieve these aims.
People in Business - Portfolio: You will produce a report which illustrates all aspects of the human resource function in a business and learn about and take part in the interviewing process.
Financial Planning and Monitoring - Examination: You are required to learn about all aspects of financial planning.
Business Planning - Portfolio: You will produce a structured business plan and evaluate whether it will be a success.
Promotional Activities - Portfolio: You will investigate how promotional activities are carred out to produce a successful promotion campaign.
Financial Accounting for Managers - Examination: You will understand the purpose and constraints and develop the ability to check and monitor accounts and how to analyse viability.
Students will be required to have the normal 5 grade C GCSEs prior to entry. Due to the type of course work, English and Maths are essential.
Applied Business requires a student to have good organisational skills as well as being able to independently research businesses, analyse them and produce well documented and evaluative reports. Confidence to contact external organisations is essential, although support will be given.
As indicated in 'What will I Learn?', each student will be assessed through coursework and exam. Each student will complete 3 units, 2 portfolio and 1 external examination.
Students taking Applied Business learn to take responsibility and, with the support of their teacher, are expected to take control of their own learning. Examples of some of the activities you will be involved in include:
- Individual work and working as part of a team
- Project and assignment based work
- Case study and data response questions
- Examination questions and papers
- The use of ICT for business and communication purposes
Access to a computer for coursework is also important, although if one is not available at home, arrangements can be made within the Faculty for use after school.
If you require any further information please contact Mr Battams.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kingsthorpe College directly.