Creative Media Production BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Wirral Metropolitan College
This is an exciting level 3 course which will prepare you for work within the media industry as well as equipping you with the skills to progress to higher level qualifications such as a degree. You will work with media professionals both inside and outside of the college during project work. The course covers all aspects of video, as well as aspects of print publishing, photography, and interactive media.
This is a 2 year programme delivered as follows:
- 1st year – Diploma
- 2nd Year – Extended Diploma
Achievement of the 1st year (Diploma) will enable you to progress onto the 2nd year (Extended Diploma)
This is a level 3 BTEC. On completion, the qualification will be the equivalent to 3 A-Levels.
In video production you will learn how to; originate ideas, conduct research and write research briefs for video, write proposals and treatments, write scripts, interview techniques, operate a video camera, produce and direct a film and crew, edit a film and work as part of production team, gaining experience within multi-camera set-ups.
In Photography you will learn how to; use different photographic equipment - digital and film, apply photography to different situations, reflect on different photographic work and learn how to develop your film in the dark room.In Interactive Media you will learn how to; manipulate digital photographs, apply digital graphics to interactive media, set up a simple website, apply web authoring software.Some aspects of the course will also be journalism based.
Your course will look at four main areas of the creative process:
- Creativity in context: The things that can influence the creative process, such as society, culture, the environment or the work of other people
- Thinking and working creatively: Ways of exploring, experimenting with and developing ideas, skills and techniques
- Principles, processes and practice: The skills, techniques and processes to turn your ideas into reality
- Creative businesses and enterprise: An understanding of real situations and the skills that you need to succeed in the industry.
- Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old.
- 5 GCSEs at grade C or above (including English Language)
- An interest in media production and theory
- A satisfactory interview
- Good communication skills and the ability to work as a team an advantage
- Good literacy skills for assignment work but support can be provided
Before starting your course, you will take assessments in literacy and numeracy to make sure that you are working at the right level.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course.
On completion of the two year course students will have the qualifications and experience to equip them for work within the media industries or to enable them to progress to Higher Education.
The course is delivered in a pathway system and students' progress through two programmes beginning with the diploma and ending with the extended diploma. This may include further assistance from the Advice and Guidance team based in the college.
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in English and maths already
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.