Design & Technology: Product Design at John Willmott School (JWS)
LEVEL AS/A2 Level
EXAMINATION BOARD OCR
Do you enjoy creating, thinking for yourself and drawing? This course develops all of these skills and begins with an induction on graphic presentation, model making, computer aided design and computer aided manufacturing.
Product Design should be viewed as a two year course to gain the best experience.
5 A* - C including English and Maths.
SPECIFICATION AND UNITS OF STUDY
AS Units Studied:
• Unit 1 - Advanced Innovation Challenge:
- The Advanced Innovation Challenge requires candidates to design and model in a design workshop or examination room and complete a workbook and question paper.
AS Level – 40% A Level – 20%
• Unit 2 - Product Study:
- The Product Study consists of product analysis and product development, prototype modelling and testing.
AS Level – 60% A Level – 30%
A2 Units Studied:
• Unit 3 - Design, Make and Evaluate:
- Candidates are required to produce a coursework portfolio and product which fully demonstrates their designing, making and evaluation skills, using creativity, flair and innovation.
A Level – 30%
• Unit 4 - Product Design:
- The subject content of this unit is focused towards products and applications and their analysis in respect of:
• Materials, components and their uses
• Manufacturing processes
• Industrial and commercial practices
A Level – 30%
WHERE CAN THE COURSE LEAD?
This course obviously leads into Design/Engineering careers. (Science or Maths will be essential for higher engineering degree courses). General outcome is greater understanding of technological developments, and their impact on social and environmental issues. It is also useful as a general qualification to support other A Levels.
WHO TO CONTACT FOR INFORMATION Mrs P Murphy or Mr K Turton
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact John Willmott School (JWS) directly.