Economics AS Level at The King's School, Grantham
A significant component of both the AS and A Level qualification focuses on microeconomics. The theoretical workings of the free market provide a useful starting point for explanation and analysis. Imperfections and market failures provide a lead into discussing the merits and drawbacks of government intervention and the usefulness of theory in explaining observations taken from the real world of economics.
Both AS and A Level qualifications will also focus on ‘macroeconomics’. It will provide students with the technical and analytical tools required to understand how the economy functions both domestically and globally. The course encourages students to adopt a critical approach to their study of policy through understanding the limitations and conflicts that they present.
- The Operation of markets and market failure
- Production costs and revenue
- Price determination in a competitive market
- Competitiive and concentrated markets
- The market mechanism, market failure and government intervention in markets
- The measurement of macroeconomic performance
- How the macroeconomy works
- Economic performance
- Macroeconomic policy
- Macroeconomic mock exam
- Revision for AS economics examinations
- Marginality, behavioural economics and labour markets
The school’s Published Admissions Number (PAN) is 30. This is the maximum number of places which will be available in Year 12 for candidates who have attended schools other than The King’s School in Year 11. The criteria for admission to the Sixth Form will be:
- 6 GCSE passes in different subjects at Grade B or better (to include Maths and English), with Grade B or better in at least 3 subjects to be studied at A Level;
- A viable programme of study of either 3 or more GCE AS Level subjects (excluding General Studies) or an Advanced Diploma plus one GCE AS Level subject.
If there are more applicants than places, places will be offered on the basis of overall GCSE performance calculated on a points system where A* = 58 points, A = 52 points, B = 46 points, C = 40 points, D = 34 points, E = 28 points, F = 22 points, G = 16 points, subject to the following:
- an applicant must meet the standards outlined in bullet point 1 above.
- priority will be given to candidates in the *care of the local authority.
In the event of a tie for the final place the following criterion will apply; distance from **home to school measured in a straight line by Microsoft MapPoint software between the post office address point of the home and the post office address point of the school.
If there are more applicants than places available in a particular AS Level subject, places in that subject will be allocated according to the following criteria in the order shown:
- GCSE grade in that subject (where applicable);
- Overall GCSE score (in terms of average points per subject entry).
- Exam paper
- Mock exam
Pen, pencil, ruler, calculator
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The King's School, Grantham directly.