Introduction to Professional Cookery: Level 1 Diploma at NESCOT
Designed for candidates who wish to start a career within the catering industry. You will develop your basic skills in professional cookery in our brand new training kitchens and also have the opportunity to gain experience in a realistic working environment in our new restaurant sponsored by Le Raj.
This vocationally related qualification meets the needs of learners who want to work as professional cooks. This qualification allows learners to develop and practise the skills required for employment and/or career progression in the Hospitality and Catering sector
Units you will study
- Food safety in catering
- Introduction to employability in the catering industry
- Health and safety awareness for catering and hospitality
- Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Introduction to kitchen equipment
- Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching and steaming
- Prepare and cook food by stewing and braising
- Prepare and cook food by baking roasting and grilling
- Prepare and cook food by deep frying and shallow frying
- Regeneration of pre-prepared food
- Cold food preparation
Two GCSEs at grade E or above, including English, plus enthusiasm and passion to work in the Hospitality and Catering industry.
You will be assessed through practical skills, short answer test and assignment evidence.
On successful completion of the Level 1 Diploma in Introduction to Professional Cookery you can progress to level 2 Diploma in professional cookery or on to an apprenticeship.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact NESCOT directly.