Entry to the Uniformed Service NCFE Level 2 Diploma at Carshalton College
A course for school leavers who want to work in the Public Services.
You will have the opportunity to develop the skills necessary to improve your chances of selection and career progression within the armed forces, emergency services (police, fire, ambulance), security and prison services.
The course aims to:
- Provide an opportunity for learners with an interest in the Uniformed Services to gain an insight into this area of study and employment.
- Provide informed and prepared potential recruits for a variety of Uniformed Services.
- Develop learner’s skills and qualities in preparation for all areas of employment.
- Provide a basis for further study and motivation towards career development
Some of the units you will study on the course will be:
- Investigate employment in the Uniformed Services
- Explore aspects of physical fitness
- Develop team working and problem solving skills
- Carry out map reading and navigation
- Follow Uniformed Services routine
- Working as a volunteer
- Participate in adventurous activities
Alongside you main qualification you will also study:
- Level 2 Understanding stewarding at spectator events
You will also study Functional Skills/GCSE maths & English for those who do not have a grade C in both these subjects - this is mandatory.
A minimum of three GCSEs at grade D (English essential) or you will have successfully completed a Level 1 programme and achieved Level 1 in Functional Skills English.
You may also be asked to demonstrate your commitment and skills in an interview.
A positive reference from school, an employer or a tutor (if progressing) with punctuality and attendance is also required for this course.
Students are required to complete a portfolio (file) containing evidence of assignments, practical performance, presentations & group exercises.
Tuition, exam and registration fees not applicable to students aged 16 to 18.
Students enrolled on this course will be required to buy a uniform which will cost £40.
With further training or study, students go into a wide range of public sector occupations such as the emergency services, armed forces, security, prison service, H.M. Customs & Excise.
Students can also progress onto the one year BTEC Level 3 90 Credit Diploma in Public Services or the two year BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Public Services.
A wide range of visits to the Public Service workplaces will be organised over the course.
You will also have the opportunity to experience a residential outdoor adventure visit which aims to develop your teamwork, communication and leadership skills.
Additional equipment you will need to get throughout the year:
- Walking boots, rainproof jacket and sleeping bag.
- Travel card for additional visits that may be arranged during the year.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Carshalton College directly.