Applied Science (Double) at Wickersley School and Sports College
This subject will be offered in Option Blocks A and B only as a Double Option
Applied science gives you the opportunity to mix the study of the academic side of science, whilst also developing practical and vocational skills that can be applied in the real world.
- Unit 1: principles in science I , an exam unit with a mixture of chemistry, biology and physics.
- Unit 2: practical procedures and techniques, a practical chemistry unit.
- Unit 3: science investigative skills, where they’re assessed externally on their ability to plan and execute a scientific investigation.
- Unit 8: Physiology of human body systems, a human biology unit.
- Unit 4: laboratory techniques, a mix of biology and chemistry lab work unit.
- Unit 5: principles in science II, an exam unit with a mixture of chemistry, biology and physics.
- Unit 6: an investigative project.
- Unit 12; diseases and infections, a biology coursework unit.
5 A* - C GCSEs or Equivalent
Each unit has its own method of assessment. Units 1 and 5 are examined using an external exam. Unit 3 is a skills-based exam unit but has pre-release material associated with it. All other units are coursework units that are assessed within the school.
A large amount of our pupils go on to study nursing or physiotherapy. Other common routes are sports science or biomedical science. The course gives you skills needed for a wide range of university courses or employment opportunities.
Please consult our Option Blocks before making your selection.
To find out more about this qualification, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.