Sociology A-Level at Diss High School
The world is changing faster than ever before. Traditional ways of thinking and acting have been replaced as revolutions, such as those of gender and I.C.T. have transformed society.
Sociology tries to understand the changes occurring in modern society. By doing this, it helps us to understand how our own lives are shaped and influenced by the social world around us.
Sociology promotes imagination and criticism. Through an introduction to a variety of ways of looking at societies, it challenges our ‘taken-for-granted’ assumptions of how things are.
The topics you will study are:-
- Families and Households – including the way childhood, marriage, and gender roles are changing.
- Education – here we analyse reasons why ethnicity, class and gender influence achievement.
- Crime and deviance – sociologists are interested in how laws are made; they also analyse who breaks the law and why.
- Beliefs in society – this unit examines different belief systems, from cults and sects to science and politics.
- Sociological research methods and theories – here you will learn about the ways sociologists investigate society.
You are required to have at least five Cs at GCSE including Maths and English Language at Grade C.
English Language Grade B
There is no course work requirement – assessment is by examination only.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Diss High School directly.