Design & Technology (Product design) A Level at Dronfield Henry Fanshawe School
The course is designed to:
• develop a broad view of design and technology
• develop the capacity to design and make products
• appreciate the complex relations between design, materials, manufacture and marketing
AS outline Candidates study and work with a variety of materials and components used in the design and making of everyday products. They work in both two and three dimensional forms. Candidates gain an understanding of industrial and commercial practices within the area of design and manufacture:
• Unit 1 (PROD1) Materials, Components and Application. This is taught via theory lessons and then examined at the end of Y12. The unit equates to 50% of the total AS grade.
• Unit 2 (PROD2) Learning through Designing and Making. Which is taught via coursework sessions throughout Y12 leading to a folio of assessed and moderated work. The unit equates to 50% of the total AS grade.
A2 outline The specification offers candidates the opportunity to further develop the knowledge and practical skills from AS. Candidates continue to design and manufacture products alongside an understanding of the processes and procedures of commercial manufacture:
• Unit 3 (PROD3) Design a nd Manufacture which is taught via theory sessions and examined at the end of Y13. The unit equates to 25% of the total A-Level grade.
• Unit 4 (PROD4) Design and Making Practice which is developed through a folio coursework which is assessed and moderated at the end of Y13. The unit equates to 25% of the total A- Level grade.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Dronfield Henry Fanshawe School directly.