Geography A Level at Oasis Academy Brightstowe
Geography is an exciting, topical and relevant subject, providing a unique opportunity to investigate the causes of and solutions to many of the major challenges facing the world today. Developing skills of analysis, problem solving, and writing a balanced argument, geography complements a wide range of subjects including sciences (particularly biology) and the arts.
• Global challenges
– world at risk (causes of and solutions to global hazards
– physical geography) and Going Global (the workings of our global society, to include population change, the role of TNC’s in facilitating development, the pros and cons of urbanisation).
• Geographical investigations – crowded coasts and urban/rural re-branding (investigated through class work and a 4 day residential field trip).
• Contested planet – use and management of resources. Investigating the causes, solutions and players involved in world issues including; energy security, water conflicts, biodiversity under threat, superpowers, bridging the development gap, and the technological fix.
• Geographical research – students investigate one topic out of a choice of 6, leading to the production of an extended research essay in the final examination.
The geography department works hard to develop an effective and exciting learning environment. Group work and personal presentations go alongside more traditional teaching from teachers who are passionate about their subject.
The development of independent learning and research skills are considered key at this level and provide a stepping stone to the learning techniques embraced at higher education. Fieldwork visits are a requirement of the course and provide an invaluable opportunity to experience geography in the real world.
Geography is a highly regarded subject, by both employers and higher education proving to be a highly flexible qualification. It provides access to a variety of careers and higher education opportunities allowing geography students to specialise in either arts or science. Former geography students have progressed to enjoy a wide range of opportunities including, environmental science, town planning, sustainability, housing and social welfare, hazard management and conservation.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Oasis Academy Brightstowe directly.