Applied Science BTEC Level 3 at St Martin in the Fields High School for Girls
This is a vocational, continually assessed course. Students study a set of compulsory and optional units starting with:
- Unit 1: Fundamentals of Science; in this unit you will carry out a range of chemical reactions, investigate different types of energy, describe and learn about different types of cells and communicate different types of scientific information effectively. This includes looking at journals, press releases and a museum visit.
- Unit 2: Working in the Science Industry; in this unit you will investigate procedures and communications that take place in the scientific workplace, design a scientific laboratory, learn about lab information systems and demonstrate safe practice in the laboratory.
- Unit 3: Scientific investigation: plan and carry out various investigations, collate and analyse results from investigations and draw conclusions from investigations.
In Year 13 students will also take three optional units from:
- Unit 4: Medicinal chemistry where you will learn about the components and action of medicine and how it is prepared.
- Unit 5: Diseases and infections where you will learn about different types of infections and how they are spread, treated and the impact of them in society.
- Unit 6: Clinical psychology where you will learn about mental disorders and how they are explained, diagnosed and treated.
- Unit 7: Human physiology where you will learn about the circulatory, lymph, digestive and respiratory system and Criminology.
The course will also include work experience in the scientific workplace and visits to various scientific companies and places of interest e.g. The National History Museum, The Royal London Hospital and a Biochemical plant. It will prepare students for University courses and careers in: Applied Science, Nursing, Midwifery, Pharmacy services, Psychology, Lab Technicians in schools, hospitals, and Pharmaceutical companies, Biology, Physiology, Teaching, Radiology, Phlebotomy and can be used as UCAS points towards applicable courses.
5 A*-C GCSE at GCSE and a C grade double science or a pass at BTEC level 2.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Martin in the Fields High School for Girls directly.