Art and Design AQA A Level at Lea Valley High School
A Level builds on the artistic techniques studied at GCSE level. Students will gain an understanding of why we make art and how different art movements have developed over time. The coursework involves developing ideas from imagination as well as developing work from observation. Students will experiment with different art techniques.
Year 1 students complete two components of work, one of which is an externally set assignment with a 10‐hour timed test.
Year 2 students complete two components of work, one of which is an externally set assignment with a 15‐hour timed test.
- 5 GCSE A* ‐ C including Mathematics and English Language at grade C or better
- GCSE Art and Design at grade B or better
The components studied are:
- Component 1 (60%): Development of a personal portfolio of work which is based on a set theme.
- Component 2 (40%): Externally set assignment, the theme being set by the exam board.
- Component 3 (60%): Personal Investigation, an individual theme based on an art movement.
- Component 4 (40%): Externally set assignment, the theme being set by the exam board.
Many students go on to higher education in Art and Design, then aim to join the world of advertising as graphic designers, illustrators, typographers, become architects, interior designers or become painters, sculptors, textile designers, fashion designers, photographers to name just a few.
- The Story of Art - E. H. Gombrich
- Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain - Betty Edwards
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Lea Valley High School directly.