Art & Design (Fine Art) AS & A Level at Coloma Convent Girls' School
Progressing from the excellent disciplines of GCSE Art the GCE concentrates on art and design practice and the integration of theory, knowledge and understanding. The A level qualification in Art and Design aims to develop creative, intellectual, imaginative and intuitive abilities. The work undertaken will be at times investigative, analytical, experimental, practical and expressive. Drawing is a core element for the study of art and design at GCE level; we will work with you to develop your aesthetic understanding, critical understanding, critical judgment and your knowledge of art and design in contemporary society and other times and cultures.
We follow a FINE ART course which allows students to explore a diverse range of 2D and 3D practices and processes, including drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking and some aspects of textiles.
The chosen pathway requirements and at least Grade B in GCSE Art.
- Unit 1: Coursework AS 50%
- Unit 2 Externally Set Assignment AS 50%
- Unit 3: Practical Coursework and Personal Study A Level 50%
- Unit 4: Externally Set Assignment A Level 50%
- You can proceed from these courses to a foundation course at a college of Art and Design and then onto a degree course
- You have a wide choice of courses from which to choose, for example, Graphic Design, Textiles, 3D Design, Product Design, Theatre Design, Fine Art, Fashion, Hair and Beauty, Special Effects for Stage and Theatre, History of Art, Museums and Gallery courses, Interior Design, Jewellery Design, Shoe Design, Games Design, Photography and Digital Media courses
- Many other courses require and Art qualification (either GCSE, AS or A Level) as desirable, for example, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Horticulture, Dentistry, Plastic Surgery, Hairdressing, Beauty, Floristry, Retail Display, Pattern Cutting and Photography
- You will gain practical skills that are transferable to all aspects of your life
- You will have opportunities to express yourself in a visual form, become visually literate and develop a critical vocabulary.
Awarding Body: 2017-19
EDEXCEL Advanced Subsidiary GCE in Art and Design 8AD0
EDEXCEL Advanced GCE in Art and Design 9AD0
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Coloma Convent Girls' School directly.