Geography AS level at The Bushey Academy
The aims of the Edexcel Advanced Level GCE in Geography are to:
- Develop and apply understanding of geographical concepts and processes to understand and interpret our changing world.
- Develop awareness of the complexity of interactions within and between societies, economies, cultures and environments at scales from local to global.
- Develop as global citizens who recognise the challenges of sustainability and the implications for their own and others’ lives.
- Improve as critical and reflective learners aware of the importance of attitudes and values, including their own become adept in the use and application of skills and new technologies through their geographical studies both in and outside the classroom.
- Be inspired by the world around them, and gain enjoyment and satisfaction from their geographical studies and understand their relevance.
Students will study Unit 1 – Global Challenges and Unit 2 – Geographical Investigations in the AS year.
- Unit one includes two topics: The World at Risk and Going Global.
- Unit two includes the two topics Crowded Coasts and Unequal Spaces.
- Unit 1 – exam is 1 hour and 30 minutes in two sections.
- Unit 2 – exam is 1 hour and 15 minutes in two sections.
Geography A-level compliments the study of a broad range of other subjects including Sociology, History, Economics and Science. Many career prospects are available with a qualification in Geography, including progression into many university courses, Geography-based or not. The study of Geography at degree level can lead to careers directly linked to the subject working in both humanitarian and environmental organisations in the UK and overseas, law, environmental planning and management, teaching and surveying amongst many others.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Bushey Academy directly.