History AS level at The Dukeries Academy
Component 1 (breadth study): Tsarist Russia and Communist Russia, 1855-1964
Autocracy, Reform and Revolution: Russia, 1855-1917
- Rule of Alexander II, III and Nicholas II.
- Collapse of the Tsarist Empire, 1884-1917
- Bolshevik seizure of power, 1917
Component 2 (depth study): The Making of Modern Britain,1951-2007
- The Affluent Society, 1951–1964 from Consensus politics to the emergence of the ‘teenager’.
- The Sixties, 1964–1970 from industrial relations to the growth of a ‘permissive society’.
- The end of Post-War Consensus, 1970–1979 from the miners’ strikes to the troubles in Northern Ireland.
Grade B or above in History GCSE and level 6 in English. 5 A*-C grades at GCSE (including Maths). If you have not studied History at GCSE, a Grade B in another Humanities subject such as Geography is a prerequisite. In addition to this, an ability to read around the subject, watch the news and relevant TV programmes and use the Internet as a search tool is vital. A willingness to learn, discuss and contribute ideas is crucial. A thirst for knowledge, good reading and writing skills are required.
Component 1 and 2 (AS)
- AS level = Written exam: 1 hour 30 minutes for each component
- 2 questions (one compulsory source question) for each component
- 50 marks for each component
- 50% of AS for each componen
Students can take up a course at university to study History or Archaeology or in combination with Politics, Languages or Law. It is a highly respected qualification, valued in a wide variety of occupations such as Law, Journalism, Business and Marketing, the Armed Forces and Teaching. You will acquire the skills to be able to write in an analytical style and evaluate sources. History is about learning to think independently. It is about you.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Dukeries Academy directly.